How to find us
Go for Green Travel
Our little corner of North Pembrokeshire in West Wales is well served by public transport, so if you can get to us this way – then please do.
For groups of 10 or more, we offer FREE train station transfers at certain times and on certain days to coincide with the start times for our weekend breaks and mid-week holidays with the details as below. Alternatively, the short journey to and from our local station can be made by taxi and is inexpensive.
We are also well served with good road connectivity to west Wales with major trunk roads from the end of the M4 west of Swansea. If you decide to drive, and are happy to lift share, please do let us know as we can put you in touch with other folks joining us on the weekend and perhaps you can share a ride.
Buy your train tickets as soon as you can, as you can get cheaper deals. For advance train tickets use www.thetrainline.com, www.tfwrail.wales or greatwestern or you can call Great Western on 0345 7000 125 or Transport for Wales on 0333 321 1202. You can also purchase tickets at any British Rail station.
If you want to speak with a real person about tickets we have found a small Welsh booking agency who are very helpful and will be able to book your ticket for you and send them out to you in the post. They are the best people for group bookings too where you get one third off the full price for groups of 3 or more, called the ‘Group Save’ ticket – call Llandrindod-Wells ticket office on 01597 822053.
Wherever you are travelling from, you have to get to SWANSEA in South Wales, and from here you get connections onto the West Wales line out to Fishguard or Haverfordwest.
Local Train Stations
Our nearest train station is Fishguard and Goodwick which is just 5 miles away or a 10 minute drive. From here, groups of 10+ are eligable for our free transfers (see below). Alternatively, please arrange a taxi (£15 fare) with Fishguard Taxis 01348 875129 or a local bus which will drop you at the end of our lane one mile away.
The other local station is Haverfordwest which is 15 miles away. We do not usually offer a free transfer, but we can arrange special pick up for larger groups of 20+ so please do contact us. Otherwise taxis (£40 fare) and minibus taxis (£70 fare) are available to transfer you to the lodge.
We would always recommend travelling into ‘Fishguard and Goodwick’ whenever possible as its much closer, but trains only run 5 times each day to this station, so sometimes you may need to use Haverfordwest. To avoid any confusion with your return or round trip tickets, we can confirm that tickets for ‘Fishguard and Goodwick’ and Haverfordwest are totally inter-changeable, so you can arrive into either station and depart from either station and your ticket is valid.
Free Transfers for Groups (10+)
Arrival: Fishguard & Goodwick pick up at 18:54 *This train will run from March 2022*
Departure: Fishguard & Goodwick drop off at 14:23
Arrival: Fishguard & Goodwick pick up at 13:55
Departure: Fishguard & Goodwick drop off at 12:53
The eco lodge is just 5 minutes walk down our narrow lane from the main coastal road the A487 and Mathry village just 15 minutes walk. The local bus service the T11 runs between Fishguard and St David’s so this service can be used to access the lodge, getting off at Mathry junction or Mathry village. For people travelling from further away in Wales, take the T5 long distance bus to Fishguard and then transfer onto the T11 to reach Mathry and the Preseli Venture lodge.
There is also the coastal bus service the ‘Strumble Shuttle’ the 404, which runs between Fishguard and St David’s, dipping down to the beaches and coastal villages on route, and great for accessing the coastal path. This service will drop you at Mathry junction on the A487 from where you just have the short walk down the narrow lane to Preseli Venture.
Public Transport in Wales
For journeys made inside Wales you can use the Travel Line Cymru Travel Planner
We are approximately:
- 4.5 hours from London
- 2 hours from Cardiff
- 3 hours from Birmingham
Finding the lodge couldn’t be easier:
- Take the M4 west as far as it goes past Swansea, and then join the A48 to Carmarthen.
- At Carmarthen take the A40 west towards St Clears, and continue on the A40 to Haverfordwest.
- From Haverfordwest take the A40 towards Fishguard for 9 miles, until you reach Letterston and then TURN LEFT onto the B4331, sign posted for Mathry.
- Continue for 5 miles, until the B road meets at a junction with the A487; the Fishguard to St Davids road.
- Cross over the A487, and then turn IMMEDIATELY right down a single-track lane – CAUTION drive slowly down this narrow and twisty road! We are the first place you come to on the left (a big cream/pink house!), about 2/3 of a mile down the lane (ignore any other earlier farm tracks!) Please continue to the third entrance driveway, which leads you straight to the Preseli Venture car parking area.
From Cardiff Airport
PLEASE NOTE – Cardiff Airport is 110 miles from Preseli Venture. If your flight arrives late at night you might find it easier to spend the night in Cardiff to make the travel links to West Wales the next morning.
To visit the travel links information page on the Cardiff Airport website click here.
From the airport take a bus or taxi to Cardiff Central train station. The T9 Cardiff Airport Express Bus Service operates between the airport and Cardiff Central Train station every 30 minutes, Monday to Saturday between the hours 05:00 and 23:30, and then between 06:00 and 23:30 on a Sunday.
Journey time to Cardiff from the airport is approximately 40 minutes.
Book a private transfer with FlightLink Wales, the official taxi operator for the airport. To get a quote or book in advance visit the Flight Link Wales or call 02920 253 555.
From Cardiff Train station take the train to Swansea, then change for the train to Fishguard & Goodwick. We can arrange transfers by taxi or minibus for the 10 minutes drive from Fishguard & Goodwick to Preseli Venture.
There are local taxi companies that will offer a taxi service between Preseli Venture and the airport, try Rockys cabs on 01437 890891. Prices range from £100 to £150 one way. We also have links with a car hire company who are offering 10% off to Preseli Venture customers! Rhino Car Hire provide cars from Cardiff, Bristol and London airports.
In Case of Delay
If you are delayed in your travel to Preseli Venture please let us know by calling us on 01348 837709.
Please note we can only offer our free group transfers when the train is on time. Where there are delays of more than 20 minutes, we can no longer offer free transfers and you will need to take a taxi and pay for this yourself. You can claim for the loss of your free train station transfer and delayed train by visiting the Great Western website.
What To Bring
Please check your confirmation of booking for a comprehensive list. Here’s some general guidance for all our trips.
- For Coasteering you will need trainers (that will get wet but not ruined),
- Swimming costume or bathing suit to wear underneath the wetsuit that will be provided.
- For Kayaking you need a synthetic (ideally not cotton) short/long sleeved T-shirt, or thermal top.
- Bring a water bottle if you have one – essential for full days out sea kayaking or walking
- You need to bring warm clothing and plenty of layers.
- Bring a couple of towels – one for showering and one for taking out for after water activities.
- Bring a plastic bag to take your wet shoes home in!
- Bring trainers or boots to wear for the dry activities like hiking.
- bring some comfy shoes or slippers to wear around the lodge
- For full days out with a packed lunch bring a plastic box for your picnic food.
- Please do not bring your own alcohol as we have a well stocked licensed bar with bar staff
For any further information regarding how to get to Preseli Venture please do call us on 01348 837709 or contact us, we’re looking forward to welcoming you to Preseli Venture soon.