How to find us
Our little corner of West Wales is reasonably well served by public transport, so if you can get to us this way – then please do.
We offer FREE train and station transfers at certain times, the details are below. If you decide to drive, and are happy to lift share, please do let us know as we can put you in touch with other folks joining us on the weekend and perhaps you can share a ride.
We offer FREE train station transfers at certain times, the details are below.
Buy your train tickets as soon as you can, as you can get cheaper deals. For advance train tickets use www.arrivatrainwales.co.uk or www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk or www.thetrainline.com or call First Great Western on 0845 7000 125 or Arriva Trains on 0870 9000 773. You can also purchase tickets at any British Rail station.
If you want to speak with a real person about tickets we have found a small Welsh booking agency who are very helpful and will be able to book your ticket for you and send them out to you in the post. – call Louise at TheTicket Hut on 01554 830188 or email her [email protected]
Wherever you are travelling from, you have to get to SWANSEA in South Wales, and from here you get connections onto the West Wales line out to Fishguard and Haverfordwest.
Local Train Stations
Our nearest train station is “Fishguard and Goodwick” which is just 5 miles away or a 15 minute drive. From here you may be able to get our free transfer, or if not then take a taxi or a local bus which will drop you at the end of our lane one mile away.
The other local station is Haverfordwest which is 15 miles away. We do not usually offer a free transfer, but we can arrange special pick up for groups, so please do contact us. Otherwise taxis are available to transfer you to the lodge.
We would always recommend travelling into Fishguard and Goodwick whenever possible as its much closer, but trains only run 5 times each day to this station, so sometimes you may need to use Haverfordwest. To avoid any confusion with your return or round trip tickets, we can confirm that tickets for ‘Fishguard and Goodwick’ and Haverfordwest are totally inter-changeable, so you can arrive into either station and depart from either station and your ticket is valid.
On Friday evening we offer a FREE transfer from ‘Fishguard & Goodwick’ train station at 6.46pm for the journey to the Preseli Venture lodge. If travelling from London take the 1.45pm train from Paddington station which arrives into Fishguard & Goodwick station for 6.46pm.
If you need to take a later train there is a 3.15pm train from London Paddington that gets to Fishguard at 8.23pm and there are later trains through to Haverfordwest station during the evening. You will need to take a taxi from Fishguard or Haverfordwest to Preseli Venture. The latest train you can take from London is the 7.15pm which gets to Haverfordwest for 11.59pm and also the 8.15pm which gets to Fishguard for 1.20am. If you intend to take a later train and would like us to book a taxi for your onward travel to the Preseli Venture lodge then please let us know in advance.
If you’re leaving the lodge after lunch on Sunday, then we provide a FREE transfer back to Fishguard & Goodwick train station for the train at 2.24pm. On a bank holiday weekend we DO NOT usually offer a transfer on the Monday morning, but please contact us to ask.
If you’re taking part in a full day out sea kayaking on the Sunday, (like on a sea kayaking weekend), please note that there are no trains at this time from Fishguard so you will need to take the 5.45pm train out of Haverfordwest. A free transfer is NOT provided, however local taxi transport can be booked for you.
Public Transport in Wales
For journeys made inside Wales you can use the Travel Line Cymru Travel Planner
We are approximately:
- 4.5 hours from London
- 2 hours from Cardiff
- 3 hours from Birmingham
Finding the lodge couldn’t be easier:
- Take the M4 west as far as it goes past Swansea, and then join the A48 to Carmarthen.
- At Carmarthen take the A40 west towards St Clears, and continue on the A40 to Haverfordwest.
- From Haverfordwest take the A40 towards Fishguard for 9 miles, until you reach Letterston and then TURN LEFT onto the B4331, sign posted for Mathry.
- Continue for 5 miles, until the B road meets at a junction with the A487; the Fishguard to St Davids road.
- Cross over the A487, and then turn IMMEDIATELY right down a single-track lane – CAUTION drive slowly down this narrow and twisty road! We are the first place you come to on the left (a big cream house!), about 2/3 of a mile down the lane (ignore any other earlier farm tracks!) Please continue to the second entrance driveway, which leads you straight to the car parking area.
From Cardiff Airport
PLEASE NOTE – Cardiff Airport is 110 miles from Preseli Venture. If your flight arrives late at night you might find it easier to spend the night in Cardiff to make the travel links to West Wales the next morning.
To visit the travel links information page on the Cardiff Airport website click here.
From the airport take a bus or taxi to Cardiff Central train station. The T9 Cardiff Airport Express Bus Service operates between the airport and Cardiff Central Train station every 30 minutes, Monday to Saturday between the hours 05:00 and 23:30, and then between 06:00 and 23:30 on a Sunday.
Journey time to Cardiff from the airport is approximately 40 minutes. Tickets cost from £5, and you can also pay in Euros – €7 one way and €10 return.
Book a private transfer with FlightLink Wales, the official taxi operator for the airport, To get a quote or book in advance visit the website www.flightlinkwales.com or call 01446 728500.
From Cardiff Train station take the train to Swansea, then change for the train to Fishguard & Goodwick. We can arrange transfers by taxi or minibus for the 10 minutes drive from Fishguard & Goodwick to Preseli Venture.
There are local taxi companies that will offer a taxi service between Preseli Venture and the airport, try Rockys cabs on 01437 890891. Prices range from £100 to £150 one way. We also have links with a car hire company who are offering 10% off to Preseli Venture customers! Rhino Car Hire provide cars from Cardiff, Bristol and London airports.
In Case of Delay
If you are delayed in your travel to Preseli Venture please let us know by telephoning us on 01348 837709
What To Bring
- For Coasteering you will need trainers (that will get wet but not ruined), and swimming costume to wear underneath the wetsuit that will be provided.
- For Kayaking you need to a synthetic (ideally not cotton) short/long sleeved T-shirt, or thermal top.
- Bring a water bottle if you have one.
- You need to bring warm clothing and plenty of layers.
- Bring a couple of towels – one for showering and one for taking out for after water activities.
- Try and bring cash for the bar as we are not near a cash point.
- Bring a plastic bag to take your wet shoes home in!
- Bring spare trainers or boots to wear for the dry activities like hiking.
- Please do not bring your own alcohol as we have a well stocked licensed bar with bar staff
For any further information regarding how to get to Preseli Venture please do call us on 01348 837709 or contact us, we’re looking forward to welcoming you to Preseli Venture soon.
Preseli Venture, Parcynole Fach, Mathry, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire SA62 5HN, WALES, UK +44 (0)1348 837709
SIGN UP TO OUR NEWSLETTER