BCU 4 star sea kayak leader award
This award provides training for leaders and guides which is specific to the craft and water environment in which they operate, and Preseli Venture offers both the BCU 4 star sea kayak leader award training and assessment.
The training and assessment will both be undertaken in a modern sea kayak.
Who is the BCU 4 star sea kayak leader course for?
This discipline specific test is designed to indicate that the candidate has the skill level to safely paddle and lead other competent paddlers on sections of moderate water. A four star paddler will have the all round paddling ability, safety, rescue and basic leadership required to undertake trips on sheltered – moderate water with a group of paddlers who have the basic paddling skills required, but not necessarily the experience, to operate in a self-sufficient manner.
4 star sea kayak leader training
The training course comprises a 2 day course and we typically also offer the prerequisite BCU coastal navigational and tidal planning course training as a third day.
Training is valid for 3 years, during this time, and upon completion of the assessment prerequisites, candidates can put themselves forward for assessment.
Training pre requisites:
- BCU 3 star sea kayak standard is the appropriate level of performance for paddlers to begin working towards the BCU 4 star sea kayak leader
- BCU coastal navigation and tidal planning course or acceptable RYA alternative.
Dates for 2017:
June 2nd (coastal navigation)
June 3rd – 4th
£185 for the 2 day course.
Sea kayaks can be hired for £15 per day
Accommodation is available at the Preseli Venture eco lodge.
4 star sea kayak leader assessment
The assessment is a 2 day course.
Assessment pre requisites:
- Home Nation BCU 4 star sea kayak leadership registration (LR)
- Valid (within 3 years) BCU recognised 2 day first aid award
- Previous experience: provide documented evidence of 24 sea trips (minimum 4 hours duration). During at least 5 of these trips the candidate must assume an assistant leader role. The extensive range of sea kayak journeys should include a variety of coastlines, sea states, sea areas, periods of limited visibility and darkness, tidal waters up to 3 knots, wind up to and including Beaufort Force 5, crossings not exceeding 2 nautical miles, and camping from a kayak
- Valid (within 3 years) BCU 4 star sea kayak leader training
Candidates must be aged 16 or over at the time of assessment. Candidates under the age of 18 can take the award, but cannot be deemed responsible for leadership by law until they turn 18.
Dates for 2017:
May 15 – 16
September 11- 12
£185 per person.
What is provided?
You must provide all of your own kit, but sea kayaks can be hired from Preseli Venture at a rate of £15 per day. Accommodation is available at the Preseli Venture eco lodge.
Want to know more?
Please do contact us for more details of our BCU 4 star sea kayak leader training and assessment course, or call us on 01348 837709.